Monday 4 October 2010

Baked Rhubarb

Rhubarb is one of those Love It Or Hate It foods. Thankfully I'm happily in the Love It camp. And it's low GI. Well rhubarb itself is actually so low in carbohydrate as to be no GI! Although I do love it, I too must add some sweeteners to make it totally delicious.

Rhubarb is traditionally flavoured with orange juice, but for some reason I really don't like cooked orange all that much (there are some exceptions), and I really don't like the orange/rhubarb combo. So for many years I've experimented with different flavourings and sweeteners for my rhubarb. I prefer to use some maple syrup (how can that actually be low GI, but so glad it is!) and in the past have used concentrated apple juice (I'm not sure of the GI here, and since my bottle was long expired, I decided to avoid it when I made this the other day). You can also throw in some grated ginger, or do a mixture of fruits such as apple or pear (I haven't tried that yet, but it should work, indeed I've just thought of it now and want to try it).

It's so easy you don't really need a recipe, it's more just a method. If your rhubarb stems are different thicknesses then cut the thinner ones in longer pieces, and the thicker stems in shorter pieces so that they all cook in about the same time.




Rhubarb can be cooked on the stove or in the microwave, but I much prefer to bake it. Rhubarb holds its shape and colour much better if it's baked rather than stewed on the stove top, and I prefer to see the wonderful pieces of rhubarb rather than a mush of red strings.


Baked Rhubarb

1 bunch rhubarb, leaves removed, stems chopped
Maple syrup to drizzle
2 tsp LoGiCane sugar
1 cinnamon stick (optional)



Bake in a moderate oven (180C/350F) about 15-20 minutes (or until you can smell a delicious aroma drifting out of the oven).



There are lots of ways to enjoy this. I like it on my morning cereal for breakfast- by itself or with other fruits if I have them, it goes nicely with berries or banana, and of course tastes fantastic with cinnamon sprinkled on,





or with yoghurt (plain, vanilla, strawberry) for dessert or a snack.


3 comments:

  1. Rhubarb has always meant my mum's apple and rhubarb crumble to me, but I love your use of maple syrup and should try making it myself sometime! I bet it's be great with homemade granola, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a rhubarb and strawberry crumble which is pretty fabulous if I do say so myself. I'm sure apple and rhubarb would be good too. I'll be interested to hear what you think if you try the maple syrup variant- there are very few things that are ruined by maple syrup after all. I'm sure it would be fine with your homemade granola, you could make that with maple syrup too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, I also like to make a Rhubarb and Pear crumble. I have a rhubarb and strawberry cold dessert recipe somewhere. Now where is it? Anyhow, I'm a rhubarb lover too - and it's such a versatile food.

    ReplyDelete