Tuesday 5 April 2011

Bircher Muesli

On a recent trip to Sydney, The Professor offered to make me some bircher muesli. Now, I've never been a fan of bircher muesli, it's a textural thing mostly, but I haven't really had any for years, and have probably only ever had awful supermarket versions and didn't think I'd ever had any homemade especially for me by a bircher fan. And I must admit to being somewhat intrigued by the process.

What follows is more a process than a recipe. But it is a rather low key way to enjoy a low GI breakfast. No cooking, just a bit of swishing about in a bowl and adding fruit.

Traditional rolled oats are a wonderful low GI (42) source of nutrition. You do need to be careful and generally avoid the instant oats as these are quite high GI.


Rolled oats
Cloudy apple juice
Slivered almonds
Grated green apple
Handful blueberries
Plain yoghurt to blend
A drizzle of pure floral honey (not a blended honey, which is higher GI)

Place rolled oats into a serving bowl. Add cloudy apple juice to soak. Cover. Leave overnight.
In the morning, add fruit, nuts and yoghurt to taste.




Apple juice is low GI (but energy dense). Cloudy apple juice has more antioxidants than regular apple juice. Which is I'm sure why my sister had it on standby.




Grated homegrown apple


The finished result
So. Am I a convert? No. Not really.  It wasn't awful by any stretch, and I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to try it again, but still, I have an issue with the texture of bircher muesli that I just don't think that I can overcome. I think I'd stick with regular muesli or porridge any day. 


2 comments:

  1. I've occasionally enjoyed bircher muesli, but I think it's a bit too virtuous for my liking. Not enough scope for chocolate additions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that may be part of my problem too Hannah. It somehow seems just too wholesome like a Swedish backpacker in Birkenstocks kind of breakfast. I've hit porridge making season, and I'm in serious danger of trying your chocolate additive- what do you use? Maybe you should do a porridge post?

    ReplyDelete