Sunday 30 January 2011

Apple and Cabbage Coleslaw

I've never really been a coleslaw fan. I eat typical coleslaw when I have to- at functions, barbeques, a friends place, but it's never been a favourite. And we don't eat much cabbage as a vegetable either. So, I'm not quite sure why I was attracted to this recipe recently. Momentary insanity brought on by holiday beach fumes? Possibly.






Apple and Cabbage Coleslaw
Serves 4 as a side salad

1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
1 red apple, thinly sliced



1/3 cup sour light cream
2 tblsp pesto
2-3 tblsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine the cabbage, onion and apple in a large bowl.
Whisk the sour cream, pesto, lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl and season.
Slowly add dressing to the cabbage mixture (the quantity of dressing is a bit much) until coated as desired.





Notes
Adapted from a recipe in dish 33 (Dec 2010- Jan 2011). dish is a great kiwi food magazine, full of wonderful recipes and interesting stories, and well worth buying.

The original recipe suggested green cabbage and regular sour cream. They suggested that if the dressing is still thick, stir in a little water to thin it to a pouring consistency. I used light sour cream and didn't need to add any water. The dressing is actually enough for twice the quantity of coleslaw.

I dusted off my mandoline tonight for the second making of this coleslaw. I got a much, much better result than when I chopped by hand. It was amazing actually. Although I think this second time, my apple to cabbage ratio was higher, as my piece of cabbage must have been smaller, also I had the dressing ratio worked out better, it tasted fresher and fabulous.



I was thinking as I made this tonight that it might be nice with some pistachios scattered on top, unfortunately I didn't have any in the cupboard to try.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I *am* a fan of coleslaw, especially dairy-based ones (as opposed to mayonnaise-based). I am also a fan of using apples is savory preparations. This looks like a winner, and so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the colour of it too- red and purple vegies always feel super healthy to me, and I feel virtuous eating it, even if it is smothered in sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using the left over dressing on my salads for my lunch at work- it's been great.

    ReplyDelete