Tuesday 25 January 2011

Purple Carrots!

On a recent trip to the local farmers market (only held monthly here sadly) I came home with a bunch of purple carrots.



I'd seen them in magazines before but never had any, so was keen to try them. They looked such an amazing colour- I'm sure they're full of antioxidants and healthy stuff like that. Regular orange carrots are low GI (41), I can only presume that purple carrots would have a similar value.

Carrots aren't my favourite vegetable it really must be said- I much prefer asparagus, avocado, corn or edamame. I particularly dislike raw carrot, but am moderately partial to it when it has been cooked. I even make a rather delicious carrot soup by choice at times. It would be rather fun to make a purple carrot soup, maybe I'll have to try that some time.

I wasn't particularly adventurous with my exciting purple carrots. I peeled and blanched them and ate them with Nigella Lawson's absolutely delicious peanut butter hummus. It was fun. They tasted like carrots, but were quite a bit more subtle in taste than regular orange carrots. Next time I will have to try to get some of the pale lemony coloured carrots.

2 comments:

  1. They do look gorgeous. We grew our own purple potatoes last year but alas, although they tasted nice, they turned a nasty cement grey when they were cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. Yes it was exciting that they maintained their colour, I did ask if they were like purple asparagus which sadly looks just like normal asparagus when it's cooked. They actually were a bit like beetroot in that they stained the other vegies by the time I got to having lunch.

    ReplyDelete